The HSN 50/50 Cash Lottery is making a BIG IMPACT on patient care at Health Sciences North (HSN)
Since its inception, the lottery has raised over $14.5 million dollars to support the highest-priority needs of HSN through the work of the three Foundations – HSN Foundation, NEO Kids Foundation, and the Northern Cancer Foundation – and HSN Volunteer Association. The equivalent of $14.5 million dollars has also been awarded as prize money to lucky winners across our community and beyond – a win, win for everyone!
While the lottery has been life-changing for the winners, it is making a difference in the lives of those living with cancer; how the tiniest patients receive specialized pediatric care; and ensuring equipment is in place when needed to provide quality patient care.
Funds raised to date have helped purchase much-needed equipment including:
- Breast vacuum biopsy system for breast screening and assessment service
- Two infant incubators for the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- Fleet of defibrillators for the Emergency Department and other critical areas
- Two colonoscopes for use in Endoscopy & Minor Procedures
- Two Drager Jaundice Meters to streamline screening practices for NEO Kids Program
- Two Exera Video Processors and Lightsources for the Shirley and Jim Fielding Northeast Cancer Centre to allow head and neck cancer surgeons to more accurately evaluate the effects of cancer treatment.
- Six dialysis chairs for the Nephrology department
- A second “Hana” surgical table that is designed for use in the anterior hip replacement procedure
- New laser for the Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) surgical team used to perform the stapedotomy procedure on patients with an inherited condition called otosclerosis, which causes deafness
- 10 “Nara” bassinets used to help keep newborn babies safe and designed to improve visibility and interaction from the bedside
- An O-Arm which is a portable CT scanner that can be used within the operating room to get real time information.
What is also exciting about the HSN 50/50 is that funds will also be used to support our future capital redevelopment projects to help build a stronger healthcare system – benefiting some of our most vulnerable populations such as seniors, children, and those struggling with mental health and addiction challenges.
We recently checked in with HSN staff members and patients to see how the HSN 50/50 is making an impact on them. You can view the videos here:
Marking Exceptional Patient Care Possible with HSN 50/50 Funds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__qE0NpfS80
Your Dollars at Work – O-Arm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILD3x7sfI1c
The success of the HSN 50/50 lottery, which incorporates monthly early bird prizes, is due to the tremendous support of people living in communities near and far. Every day, patients rely on quality health services at HSN and the lottery is playing a vital part in ensuring that they receive the care they need, close to home.
Thank you for your support and we wish you the best of luck!
To purchase tickets, please visit www.hsn5050.ca
Lottery Licence #1246838